Myrtleville House Museum is an unusual location; the 3-bedroom (plus sick room, maid’s room, and spacious upper-floor study) sits on nearly 6 acres of green space – right in the middle of the suburban landscape of raised ranches and bungalows. Historical buildings pepper the lot, including a drive shed, carriage house, outhouse, ice house, smoke house, and a workshop complete with a functioning blacksmith’s forge.
The house and grounds were the home of the Good family, a farming family who immigrated to Canada from Ireland in the early 19th century. Allen and Eliza Good, the first Goods to live in the house, named it after their home in Ireland: Myrtleville. The home and farm was passed down through the family, eventually being owned and operated by William Charles Good, who was a founding member of the Ontario Famers’ Cooperative in the early 20th century, and went on to become a Member of Parliament in the Canadian House of Commons for the Brant Riding from 1921 to 1925.
Myrtleville House was restored in the 1960s, and became a Heritage Canada property in 1978. The Brant Historical Society has been running the operations of Myrtleville House since 2008, and offer guided tours, children’s programming, summer and March Break camps, and other special events throughout the year.
The Easter Egg Hunt at Myrtleville has become an annual tradition. Families from all over the community grab their best baskets and gather at the grounds to take part in the hunt, enjoy crafts and activities, face painting, and get their picture taken with the Easter Bunny.
After the hunt, join in for a tour of the Myrtleville House at 11am, or a tour of the Myrtleville grounds at noon, and learn the role that the location played in the early periods of European settlement in this area.
Annual Easter Egg Hunt
Saturday, April 4
Registration begins at 9:30am
Hunt starts at 10:30am sharp, with activities to follow